BlueAnt T1

by Jamie Lendino

I've tested so-called rugged Bluetooth headsets before, but this is the first I've seen with removable sleeves. The T1 includes two included sleeves, which you can use to protect it when you're expecting harsh conditions like heavy winds and rain. Otherwise, you can leave the sleeves off for a slightly smaller, more traditional design. Fortunately, the T1's sound quality and battery life both measure up no matter the conditions, and it's pretty comfortable to wear, too.

Design, Fit, and Setup

The T1 is made entirely of black plastic. It measures 0.6 by 2.0 by 0.9 inches (HWD) and weighs 0.4 ounces with the ear hook attached. The sharp edges and thick design looked ungainly in person; there's no mistaking this thing once it's on your ear. On the plus side, the two big volume buttons on the top edge are easy to use, and the back panel contains a sizable, sliding power switch. The thin multifunction button on the front panel was a little difficult to press, though.
Once I inserted the translucent plastic ear hook, the T1 felt comfortable to wear using the default rubber ear tip. The company provides four others in the box in varying sizes, in case you can't get a good fit with the first one. The two included rubber skins help protect the unit against dirt and moisture, and are easy to quickly slip on and off. The bundled AC adapter connects to the T1 via a removable USB cable, which you can also use to charge the T1 via a computer.

For this review, I paired the BlueAnt T1 with an iPhone 3GS ($99, ) and a Samsung Captivate ($199.99-499.99, ), both on AT&T. Setting up the T1 was a cinch: when I first paired the T1 with the iPhone 3GS, the T1 walked me through the pairing process using voice prompts. Then it automatically transferred the 350-entry address book, which took about a minute. Controlling the headset with my voice generally worked well, and made it easy to check the unit's battery life or pairing status, as well as initiate voice dialing with compatible phones.

Sound Quality, Other Features, and Conclusions

In a series of voice tests, the T1 sounded clear, warm, and punchy, both to me in the earpiece and to other callers through the mic. Transmissions were clear; I heard a little static during one pairing with the iPhone, but otherwise performance was good overall. The T1 features BlueAnt's new Wind Armor technology for suppressing extraneous external noise. Still, noise suppression remains second-class next to the Aliph Jawbone Icon ($99, ) and the Plantronics Voyager Pro ($99.99, ). With the T1, callers could still hear a fan I had running in the office in the background.

Other features are relatively standard fare for Bluetooth headsets. The T1's multi-point design lets you pair it with two devices simultaneously, so you can use it with a second cell phone or a VoIP app on a PC (assuming the PC has Bluetooth). The T1 also supports A2DP audio streaming, which makes it an ideal companion for listening to podcasts, audio books, and Internet talk radio through your cell phone. Range was average; I could walk about 15 feet from the handset before the audio signal began to degrade noticeably. Battery life was solid, at 5 hours and 54 minutes of talk time.

The market is flooded with Bluetooth headsets, but the T1 distinguishes itself with its removable rugged sleeves, voice control, and A2DP audio streaming. It's a good value at $79.99; that's $50 less than the flagship BlueAnt Q2 ($129, ), which lacks the rugged sleeves, but is slimmer and sounds a bit better. Our Editors' Choice headset remains the Aliph Jawbone Icon, which offers the best noise suppression on the market and the clearest sound to other callers, even if it's not particularly comfortable and has shorter battery life than most. 

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment